1. Can I bring rendered goose fat
The key factor to consider is whether the ingredient (rendered goose fat, duck confit, etc.) is purchased commercially or team prepared. If a team pre-prepares an ingredient like rendered goose fat themselves it would fall under the prohibited ingredients category. However if a team buys the ingredient and presents it in the original packaging then it falls under the permitted ingredients category. (page 11, #7)
2. Can we use Dry Ice
3. Would it be permissible to serve medium Rare Duck? ( Since it falls within the red meat category)
There’s no rules against it. Something to keep in mind with any dish is that if a food is perceived to be unsafe then the Tasting Judges are under no obligation to eat if they feel at risk. These are professionals and they know their stuff so it’s very rare for this to occur but the big thing to consider is always safety.
1. Culinary teams – are we allowed again this year to bring a speed rack for each team?
2. Management teams – do we know the 5 presentations that we are presenting (topics or order)?
All categories are in reference to the team’s unique restaurant concept. Categories include Concept, Menu & Costing, Layout & Staffing, Marketing, and Critical Thinking. These subjects are covered in the written proposal so the students are presenting short focused presentations of their concept in relation to each category.
The exact order of which category will be judged will vary for each team depending on where the judges start. The order will be announced once the competition schedule is set (p. 43).
3. Management – is it 7 minutes for each of the 5 presentations per team with 3 minute breaks in between OR 7 minutes total for 5 presentations and 3 minute break in between each team?
7 minutes for each of the 5 presentations per team with 3 minute breaks. Refer to p.29 #1-2 and p. 43.
4. Management – says notecards allowed…do we have to use them.
No, notecards are not required.
5. Management – are proposal books allowed to be bound and not in the presentation books that nationals require.
NPSI no longer requires presentation books for Management. See page 26 for what the requirements in rule 4. There is a 5 point penalty for written proposals being prepared incorrectly (p.45)
6. Culinary – knife skills are within the 1 hour now do the judges assign a knife skill to each person or do they just evaluate the person doing the skill?
The procedure for how knife skills works are explained throughout the culinary rules. I’ll highlight where to find the specific rules but you’ll want to study the whole thing to make sure you don’t miss anything. Please refer to:
• Page 8, Menu and Recipe Presentation #1e
• Page 12, Production Mise en Place #4
• Page 13, Meal Production #3a-d
• Page 20, Knife Skills Example
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
This was lovely thanks for writing this
Write your questions on this blog post and we will respond with answers.